Monday, August 30, 2010

Fructose and Cancer

I never liked fructose as much as vegetables. I don't have a nutrition degree, but my all-important intuition told me they are acidic. I saw an article by Dr. John Bruffa that recent studies show that fructose may lead to cancer. Of course, we burn calories and millions of chemical reactions take place in our body. Also, our mind body connection, as I recently posted, affects this. But this is worth a mention. Past studies have shown that glucose feeds tumor cells. According to Dr. Bruffa (www.DrBruffa.com), studies have shown the same for fructose. A June study published in Hepatology showed that it may be linked to liver cancer. Another study by Princeton and Rockefeller Universities published in February in Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior concluded that high fructose corn syrup causes obesity in rates. Most fructose travels to and is metabolized by the liver. It causes a ramping up of uric acidic production in the liver. Cancer grows better in an acidic environment. This is not direct evidence linking cancer to fructose, but may be a good leveling effect on being scared of glucose versus fructose. Balance, everyone, is key!

Disclaimer: This is not a very scientific post. More information on this may follow. None of the above information can be taken as a substitute for advice from a medical professional, such as a physician.

My third book, Pocket Guide to Fitness, is available on www.louizapatsis.com, http://www.authorhouse.com, www.bn.com and http://www.amazon.com. If you look up my name on those Web sites, you will find my other books The Boy in a Wheelchair and Life, Work and Play: Poems and Short Stories.

Posted by Louiza Fitness Tips for Life at 8:17 AM

No comments: