Saturday, March 20, 2010

Film Food Inc.

I watched the film Food Inc. yesterday on DVD. It was very good. I thought it would be more compelling. However, the slaughter of the chickens and cows with feces were bad enough. I really felt bad for the animals. I have not been able to be a vegetarian. I also think one can have some processed foods and fats in balance and while thinking healthy and exercising. I believe that there is a dilemma with keeping food cheap and making a profit and having all farms be organic.

There must be more competition in companies that produce food. Farmers should be able to speak up without spending enormous amounts on legal help Mosanto should not control seeds, as is claimed in the film. I loved the commitment to integrity and accountability of the organic farmer.

I am not sure about genetically engineered food being bad for you necessarily. Some may be good. I think genetic medicine in the future can be beneficial. I would need to know about each molecule.

I cannot believe that farmers often go to debt opening $500,000 hen houses to make $18,000.00 a year. According to the film, this is how large corporations control them. I also cannot believe a lady who lost her so due to Escherchia coli cannot say what diet changes she has made because she is afraid of being sued by a large corporation.

A major point was how less healthy food like McDonald's hamburgers can be cheaper than vegetables at the market. One cannot feel full on one or two fruits and vegetables for hours as they can with a McDonald's meal, let's say. A Hispanic family needed to choose between buying healthy groceries and spending money on the Dad's needed prescribed drugs each month.

There is a glimmer of hope in that we can use the power of the purse as consumers, as many did with tobacco, to send a message to governments and corporations.

Disclaimer: None of the above information can be taken as a substitute for advice from a medical professional such as a physician.

My third book, Pocket Guide to Fitness, is available on www.louizapatsis.com, http://www.authorhouse.com, www.bn.com and http://www.amazon.com. If you look up my name on those Web sites, you will find my other books The Boy in a Wheelchair and Life, Work and Play: Poems and Short Stories.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.