Monday, June 16, 2008

Step by Step

Yesterday I ran in the five-mile Father's Day New York Road Runner Race. I had not run a week before in a race and had not run in an official race for months. I do not believe in running each day, because it is not great for ankles and knees. But I run once in a while, and it is a measure I use for my fitness.

It was hot an muggy, but I was inspired. I ran in the memory of my father, Dionysios Sotiris Patsis, who passed on February 2, 2006, and my uncle who was like a second Dad, Dionysios Spathis, who passed on April 21, 2007. I was ready to go.

I told myself to walk and rest two times, and i only did for a few steps. It felt better to run! I had some tightness in my hamstrings from before the race. I did not stretch. I would not recommend this to a client.

I found out at night that I ran in 1:01:50. I usually run five miles in one hour. I was a little disappointed in myself. Then I saw that the humidity was 93%. And I did not need to rest. I was happy with myself. What I can do is see if my performance, due to humidity, has improved. If it has not improved, I can put in what is missing in terms of mental confidence, diet or exercise to bring up my time. I do not want to be a speed racer, but I do will improve each year! I will not waste time thinking that anything is wrong. I will concentrate on being grateful to myself and the Universe, and put in what is missing, if anything, step by step.

Disclaimer: None of the above information can be taken as a substitute for advice from a medical professional, such as a physician.

My third book, Pocket Guide to Fitness, is available on www.louizapatsis.com, http://www.authorhouse.com, www.bn.com and http://www.amazon.com. If you look up my name on those Web sites, you will find my other books The Boy in a Wheelchair and Life, Work and Play: Poems and Short Stories.

No comments: