Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dental Care and C-Reactive Protein

Recently I was reminded of the importance of our gum health to our overall health. I went to regular dental checkups and brush and floss my teeth several times a day, carrying toothpaste and floss in my purse. I did not think I needed to pay for special cleanings two times a year. This has cost me, in more ways than one.

My periodontist told me about -reactive proteins and how bacteria under your gums can contribute to heart and cardiovascular disease. See this link, and also the embedded link on the article in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Do not forget to brush, floss and use mouthwash, and go to regular dental and periodontal visits! You must see a dentist two times a year and ask if they would refer you to a periodontist if needed.

Disclaimer: None of the above information can be taken as a substitute for advice from a medical professional such as a physician.

My third book, Pocket Guide to Fitness, is available on www.louizapatsis.com, http://www.authorhouse.com, www.bn.com and http://www.amazon.com. If you look up my name on those Web sites, you will find my other books The Boy in a Wheelchair and Life, Work and Play: Poems and Short Stories.

No comments: